Mr Haughney, who works on oil fields near his home in North Dakota, discovered the worrying phenomenon while in the shower.
He added: ‘First time I did it there was a huge fireball – took up the entire sink – so that’s why I’m a little jumpy going it. I don’t want to blow up the bathroom.’
His video has been viewed more than 237,000 times since being uploaded to YouTube just over a week ago.
It has been speculated that the explosive tap water is the result of oil drilling nearby – specifically if it has anything to with hydraulic fracturing, which is popularly known as ‘fracking’.
This is the process by which natural gas is extracted by using water, sand and toxic chemicals injected at high pressure into oil of methane gas deposits to fracture the rock above and release the liquid or gas below.
Fracking involves releasing natural gas trapped in shale formations by blasting a mix of water, sand and chemicals into the rock.
It has unlocked reserves that could supply the U.S. for 100 years, although environmentalists say that fracking can contaminate water supplies.
North Dakota, which is home to just 700,000 people, is the centre of a fracking boom.
It is now the second largest oil-producing state in America, producing more than 911,000 barrels a day – largely due to the use of fracking technology.
Campaigners against fracking have previously documented flammable water.
In 2012, activist Sherry Vargson, from Granville Township, Pennsylvania, produced a video of her lighing water flowing from her kitchen tap.
Vargson and the ‘Gas Drilling Awareness Coalition’ claimed the water has become flammable because of increased methane levels in the surrounding rock which had been disturbed by the controversial fracking activity.
While Pennsylvania regulators did fine the Chesapeake energy Corp $900,000 for contaminating the water supplies of 16 homes in Bradford County with methane, there has been no conclusive evidence that fracking was to blame.
But one commenter on Mr Haughney’s video insisted there could be other reasons for the flames.
YouTube user shorefisherman said: ‘It’s completely natural, and is very common here in rural North Dakota where many people have a private well for their water source.
‘Many aquifers out here are what we call “gassy wells” there’s areas underground where natural gasses like methane are trapped in the ground with the water and bubble up the plumbing when you turn a faucet on.
‘Been that way long before fracking ever started in this state.’